Finally got the tail on. After some struggles with the rudder bottom and some adjustment of the bearings to make it swing more freely, I got the rudder on, listening to Larry Niven’s “Draco Tavern” on audiobook. It’s amazing how well audiobooks pass the time.
The rudder wasn’t the only thing I got done; I installed the tailwheel chains and torqued down the tailwheel attach bolts. Cannot believe I didn’t do those bolts earlier. I’m lucky I didn’t find the tailwheel rattling around in the truck once we got to the airport.
The rudder bottom may have to have a few things fixed. I ate away a lot of glass trying to get it to fit properly, so I might have to build it up a bit. I still owe a couple of wraps of UHMW tape around the strobe and light wires.
The only real struggle came from the trim control wire. I had to get it to pass through a couple of rubber grommets and make its way to the area forward of the VS spar under the empennage fairing. This was not fun, but my hangar mate Ron helped out by shining a light inside the HS so i could see to jam the wire into the grommet with the two fingers I could stick through the lightening hole.
Somehow I misplaced the cut-off DB9 connector which would have showed me the pinouts for wiring the two ends of the trim wire together. I remembered writing it down somewhere, but it wasn’t where I thought it was: I devoted an entry on this website to wiring color codes and pinouts but I didn’t remember that at the time. I called Shelley to see if I’d written it down on some papers I’d stuck to the cork board in the erstwhile shop and she sent me photos of them, but no joy. I didn’t think to look on this blog, but searching for stuff like that through an iPhone is no fun.
So that’s that. Just have to get the the trim wired up and a couple of loose ends and the tail is on and attached. I pushed the plane out into the sun for a photoshoot before I headed home.