OK, it’s the 13.2 hour oil change, but who’s counting? I got out there as early as I could and set the engine to draining. The cheesy quick-drain valve on the sump has an absolutely abysmal flow rate, but it has a fitting for a length of hose so you can drain it into a container and not get dirty oil all over the place. I set it going and worked on other things. After it had put some oil in the bucket, I took the oil filter off. This is tricky, because the spin-on oil filter is basically a can full of dirty oil that just wants to dribble it everywhere it can. The neat trick I figured out is to wrap a rag around the bottom of it while taking it off.
The next thing to do was cut the filter apart and have a look at the filter element. The guys left an oil filter cutter on the workbench for me, but it was the wrong type, and didn’t work with my filter. My filter has the threaded fitting on it, and this cutter is designed for a filter with the threaded hole. No big thing. I just put it in the vise and cut it apart with a rotary grinder.
I found no metal bits on the filter element. None. That was very cool. That means my engine isn’t shredding some vital part of itself as it runs. I also took out the screen and had a look at that. One solitary aluminum chip (which I suspect actually came from the bench I set it down on), and a couple of dark, non-metallic flakes and that was it. I spun on the new filter and safety-wired it up, then replaced the oil screen and wired it.
A fairly detailed inspection showed no chafing or burning, but there was a weird discoloration on the firesleeve of one of my fuel lines. I need to check that out, but I think it’s just from some oil that got on there before.
And finally, today, I dialed in the governor. I had been getting a max takeoff RPM of about 2459, which was enough to get it in the sky, but the takeoff power on that engine is supposed to be 2700. A turn and a half of the fine pitch screw on the gov, and my takeoff RPM is now 2650. I’ll call that a win. The weather turned out to be decent – clear skies with wind 11 at 260, so I got a chance to fly a bit. Maintenance clock was reset to 25 hours, and I’m back to testing.