« Archives in April, 2013

Ready to move!

12 hours.

That’s right, yesterday and today, twelve hours. Putting on and taking off those covers is time-consuming, and along the way I discovered a bunch of little tasks I’d blown off until later. Well, later is now. So as I went along, I remade the right side fuel line so it fits better with the cover panel, I moved the Adel clamp on the return line under the tunnel cover, and I dressed the antenna cables on the left side. I’ll need to do the left fuel line as well, I think, but I have something there that works.

Mostly I wanted to get everything bolted, screwed, taped, and riveted onto the airplane that I could, to facilitate transportation to the hangar. There are about million things I’m going to have to box up and move or otherwise account for. If it’s on the airplane, installed where it’s supposed to go, I don’t have to worry about finding it later. A good part of that activity was installing the interior. Last night when I quit, I realized I’d have to install a lot of little Velcro hook disks to hold the carpet backing.. The instructions say you can rivet them to the floor panel or you can drill the holes out to 5/32 and use existing floor panel screws to attach them. I took the easy way out and drilled them out to 5/32.


As you can see, there are a lot of screws.


I didn’t take a lot of pictures of me installing all the Velcro. That’s boring. This is a shot of the Classic Aero Designs interior, installed, with carpeting, side panels, seats, the whole works. Now it looks almost like a real airplane!


Another view. This thing is now much more fun to sit in and make airplane noises.


This is the baggage compartment, looking aft between the seats. Putting the ‘mental’ in ‘experimental.’

Cowling on, canopy on, all skins done, ready for the move to OXR.

There are a few squawks I need to take care of:

1: Fuel pump overflow tube (yes, I still haven’t gotten to that)
2: Anti-chafe for the cabin heat tubing, like UHMW tape
3: End hardware for canopy side hinge pins.
4: Order 5-point restraint system
5: RTV around baffles, baffle-engine case interface, blast tube fittings

And eventually, I’ll get all the posting options right.

Testing my posting options so you get a little more info instead of a spammy clickbait-looking thing.

More interior assembly

2 hours.

I suppose I can have confidence in the fact that since it’s so difficult to put together, it shouldn’t come apart that easily.

Putting in more covers with their untold hundreds of screws in preparation for carpeting.

Cover panels

1 hours.



Putting all the covers on for the rest of the interior install and prep for the move.

Wings done! Really.

2 hours.

Wings are ready for move to the hangar. Cleaned up/fastened some wiring, perma-mounted the flaps, switched the shop back into fuselage mode.


Tape gunk.

Don’t leave tape on aluminum for multiple years. The glue becomes permanent.


Wings Closed, part 2

4 hours.

Wing skins are done! I reinstalled the flaps and got a strip of UHMW tape along the back of one, and I’ll do the other tomorrow. The other thing I have to do is find or refabricate the flap hinge pin fasteners. After that, I just have some minor wire tidying to do and the wings are done, done, done.

Almost done with wing skins

2 hours.

3 more rows to go and the wings are closed up. Other than stopping to drill out the occasional bad rivet, it’s going well.

My helper for today has the right idea, but he’s not much help.

Testing iPhone posting


So here we go. Finally the iPhone and its apps have caught up with my needs and skills. I give you… The direct post!

Anyway, this is me, riveting the left bottom wing skin on. I’m doing the row just outboard of the autopilot, which you can see in the lower left of frame in that dark compartment.

Going Social

I’ve decided to patch the connection between this site and Facebook, and you can follow the progress (such as it is) on Facebook by liking the Stjohn’s Airplane page.